Pages

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Bible Stories in Board Books

I am loving this stage of Motherhood, as it means I have children in so many fun stages of childhood: An early school age, a preschooler, a toddler and one not even made her first appearance yet! ;) I have enjoyed the challenge of teaching exciting, new skills like reading to my oldest. My preschooler has a natural wonder for life and all that he gets to learn and explore that is just so contagious. My toddler is just adorable (I'm not biased or anything like that! ;) and brings a lot of joy to our days. I cannot wait to have a brand new baby in the house soon and re-experience all the magic of the First Year.


 As a book loving Mama, I have also really been enjoying sharing multiple forms and types of books with my boys recently. I have started some classic, first chapter book read alouds with my two biggest boys. Everyone in our house enjoys a good picture book. I am so glad to still have a toddler to read board books to and look forward to bond with the newest Little One over them too! Board books are the perfect introduction to having "your own library" for the youngest members of the family. Durable, easy to hold for little hands, and quick to read- they are a beginning to a lifetime love of books. What better way to introduce some of the most foundational bible stories at an early age than in the form of Baby's own board book! I love the newest offerings from Worthy Kids/Ideals Publishing that do just that- In the Beginning and Noah's Ark by Susana Gay and her son, Owen. 


In the Beginning is a the perfect paraphrase of the Creation Story for very young readers. My toddler loved the suspense of the blank/dark first page as the beginning of the account of God creating the world from nothing. The text is accurate and direct- perfectly for short attention spans. I love the clean and basic illustrations to portray each day of creation. The happy animals and people at the end really made the whole story come together for my little boy. 


Noah's Ark shares the well loved, children's favorite story of Noah's giant boat full of animals! I loved the sweet introduction to Noah on the first page and how the middle of the book turns into a counting primer. My toddler is 2 so he loved seeing "his number" over and over! I appreciated how the story took them all the way through to landing on the mountain top and gave all the credit of the rescue to God. How fun is the rainbow with the colors primer aspect added?! 



These two little books are an exciting addition to my board book library and I can't wait until my toddler becomes a big brother and can "read" them to Little Sister! :) I will definitely be considering these as baby shower gifts as well. The text is perfect for this age range and the artwork is modern, yet classic. 


Thank you to Worthy Kids Publishers for providing me with these fun books to share a review with my readers of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment