Pages

Monday, February 26, 2018

What we see in the stars-the perfect introduction to astronomy

My little homeschool clan is fairly obsessed with the moon and all of it's observable phases. We love keeping track of the latest full moon and it's subsequent waning and waxing. Last year could have been titled the "year of the moon" for our schoolroom at home. Now, I am thinking its time to broaden our observation of the night time sky and get to know some of the surrounding constellations as well. I bought my Oldest a telescope for Christmas, to give us a fun jumping off place, and knew there had to be a good "book for that" to go along with it!


And find one, I did. What we see in the stars: An illustrated tour of the night sky is a gorgeous introduction to star gazing that I can't wait to jump into with my boys! It is a visual treat that is Mama swoon worthy, but the information is approachable for kids. 


There is a great bit of introduction info on the science and study of space and the stars before diving into an extensive collection of constellations.
I appreciated that there is a page for each major constellation- containing a beautiful illustration and a paragraph of pertinent facts.There are quite a few lesser known constellations introduced as well.


A segment on all the planets.


I would highly recommend this book as an addition to homeschool libraries and to anyone captivated by the beauty of the stars.

Thanks to Blogging for Books for providing me with this gorgeous book to review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment